We are often too focused on finding the perfect solution, the complete picture, the experts to give us the magic formula but if we listen closely enough, we usually already know exactly what we need to do next.
When you get stuck, ask yourself “What do I know for sure?”
Take IMPERFECT ACTION!
It is truly one of the most effective ways to take your “next step”.
This past summer, I received a call from a great client of mine whom I hadn’t worked with in a while. After we met and discussed their needs, I developed a proposed plan of action.
During our second meeting to review the plan, it became clear that my client already knew exactly what they needed to be doing. They just needed their thoughts reflected back to them on paper and receive confirmation and support that they were right on track. (They even had the right people in place to implement the key strategies!)
“I know I need a better marketing strategy, I just haven’t done it yet”
“I know I need to organize my office because I am wasting an hour a day trying to find things”
“I know I need to start exercising to increase my energy”
“I know I need to call Telus and get a plan that will save me $100 a month”
You get the idea.
After you have answered “What I know for sure”…
The next question is ” What is your GAP?”
Your GAP is the space between in-action and action. It is the missing piece. It is real reason why you have not already taken action. Your GAP will consist of one or all of the following:
1. A belief (that is holding you back)
2. A resource; money, information or expertise ( support )
* note that I did not include “time” because although time is a resource, how we chose to use our time is based in belief of what is a priority. This can be a hard one to swallow but true.
In the story above my client’s GAP was a belief & support.
Here’s the steps:
1. Go back to what you already know you need to do,
2. Write them down
3. Decide which one will give you the greatest positive impact on your business & life
4. Identify your GAP
5. Fill your GAP (shift the belief, ask for help, research the information, get creative on finding / creating money – and I know lots of this is easier said than done but you can do it) and take imperfect action!
“To live through an impossible situation, you don’t need the reflexes of a Grand Prix driver, the muscles of a Hercules, or the mind of an Einstein. You simply need to know what to do.” – Anthony Greenback.